- This event has passed.
Transforming Trauma: Working with Youth in this Current Atmosphere
October 5, 2020 @ 4:15 am - 5:15 pmFree
Oaklawn invites you to join us from 4:15-5:15 p.m. on October 5 via Zoom. This is the fourth in a series of trainings between September and October, and you can sign up for related trainings at www.oaklawn.org/events. This training is a continuation of Oaklawn’s efforts over the past five-plus years to build a more trauma-informed community. Featured speaker is Laura van Dernoot Lipsky, founder and director of The Trauma Stewardship Institute.
Laura van Dernoot Lipsky
Laura is the author of “Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others” and “The Age of Overwhelm.” Widely recognized as a pioneer in the field of trauma exposure, she has worked locally, nationally and internationally for more than three decades.
Laura found her calling at age 18, when she regularly spent nights volunteering in a homeless shelter. She went on to work with survivors of child abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, acute trauma of all kinds and natural disasters. Simultaneously, she has long been active in community organizing and movements for social and environmental justice and has taught on issues surrounding systematic oppression and liberation theory.
- Understand the unique challenges of vicarious trauma in working with youth
- Explore how youth are impacted by suffering, hardship, crises, or trauma of humans, other living beings or the planet itself.
- Develop strategies for supporting youth in their own self-care
- 4:15-4:45 p.m. Presentation
- 4:45-5:15 p.m. Q&A
Thanks to generous financial support from The Source, Elkhart County’s system of care, this training is offered free of charge.
Clinicians who complete this training will receive 1 CEU.
See others in this series:
- October 16, 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Transforming Trauma: Building Community Resilience & Self-Healing Communities http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=9kcxmrdab&oeidk=a07eh8opn74cbcfb526