- This event has passed.
Transforming Trauma: How to do this work and sustain
September 11, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 amFree
Laura van Dernoot Lipsky (morning session)
Laura is the author of “Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others” and “The Age of Overwhelm.” Widely recognized as a pioneer in the field of trauma exposure, she has worked locally, nationally and internationally for more than three decades.
Laura found her calling at age 18, when she regularly spent nights volunteering in a homeless shelter. She went on to work with survivors of child abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, acute trauma of all kinds and natural disasters. Simultaneously, she has long been active in community organizing and movements for social and environmental justice and has taught on issues surrounding systematic oppression and liberation theory.
This training and discussion will offer practical tools to help us sustain, individually and collectively, in the face of the secondary trauma and overwhelm in our work, the pandemic, and the current national focus on systemic oppression.
- Raising awareness and responding to the cumulative toll on those who are exposed to the suffering, hardship, crises, or trauma of humans, other living beings or the planet itself.
- Understand how vicarious trauma and overwhelm manifest
- Learn strategies for navigating unfolding secondary trauma and overwhelm
Thanks to generous financial support from The Source, Elkhart County’s system of care, this training is offered free of charge.
Clinicians who complete this training will receive 2 CEUs.
See others in this series:
- September 16, 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Transforming Trauma: Countering Fear and Overwhelm http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=9kcxmrdab&oeidk=a07eh8omig01d981600
- September 22, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Transforming Trauma: Mitigating Harm on Ourselves When Working with Clients in Trauma-Saturated Environments http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=9kcxmrdab&oeidk=a07eh8on1z317e2cb3f
- October 5, 4:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. Transforming Trauma: Working with Youth in This Current Atmosphere http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=9kcxmrdab&oeidk=a07eh8onowj170c7ed0
- October 16, 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Transforming Trauma: Building Community Resilience & Self-Healing Communities http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=9kcxmrdab&oeidk=a07eh8opn74cbcfb526